I’m not going to give specific ingredient amounts for this recipe, because it’s very easily adapted to however many people you want to serve.
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Choose an oven-safe casserole dish that will accommodate the number of people you’ll be serving
- Thinly slice potatoes in a single layer in the bottom of the dish
- Sprinkle lightly with flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg – remember, the seasoning will be in each layer, so don’t be too heavy-handed
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheddar cheese
- Repeat layers until casserole is filled
- For every 1 1/2 quarts of casserole, make a mixture of 1/4 cup melted butter in 1 1/4 cups milk and pour it over the layers
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika
Bake covered at 325F for 1 1/2 hours, or until a nice golden-brown crust forms on top and potatoes are tender.
The more you make, the longer it will take to cook. For Christmas Dinner I made enough casserole to fill a 3 quart dish and I baked it for 2 hours at 350F. I had other dishes in the oven, so 350 was my only choice. :p
This recipe is adapted from Marcia Adam’ Old-Fashioned Escalloped Potatoes in Cooking from Quilt Country: Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens.